The first day of school is an exciting and new experience for your child, but it can also be filled with anxiety caused by separation and uncertainty. Please allow a few extra minutes to spend with your child on the first few days.
1. Try to get your child involved in an activity, as this usually lessens anxiety.
2. Talk to your child and let them know what is going to happen. Example: “Sally, you are going to go to school while I go to work. School is your job and work is my job and when we are both done with our jobs I will come back and pick you up.”
3. One of their greatest fears is that you won’t come back. Assure them that you will come back to pick them up.
4. Although it may be easier for you, don’t sneak away, but don’t stay for a long period of time either.
5. Once you start to leave, don’t stop. It’s important that you follow through even if your child cries.
6. Feel free to call later in the morning to see how your child is doing. My cell phone (951-520-3390) is the easiest way to get a hold of me. If by chance, I don’t answer right away, I will get back to you as soon as I can.
7. Many children adapt quickly to routine. However, it is perfectly normal for some children to take several days or weeks to adapt. BEING ON TIME EVERY DAY will help your child to establish a routine to their day.
8. Send a picture of your family with your child to hold on to so that they have you near to them. Also, put a special note in their lunch boxes letting them know that you love them.
Preschool Supply List
- 1 extra pair of underwear, pants, shirt, socks in a large zip lock bag clearly labeled. (2 changes for 2 1/2- 3 year olds). If your child has an accident, please make sure to take the soiled clothes home and bring new ones the following day.
- Lunch box – please bring a small kid-friendly size (cubbies are little in size), and one that your child can get into and close easily.
- Crib sheet – full day students only (not Transitional K)
- Crib size blanket and a airplane size pillow – full day students only (not Transitional K)
- School uniforms – we will strictly adhere to the school handbook (kaki, navy, red, white are the colors)
- 2 rolls of paper towels
- 2 lg. boxes of tissue
- 2 boxes of Crayola markers (10) (3 boxes for Transitional K)
- 1 box of Crayola crayons (24)
- 1 box of Crayola colored pencils (Transitional K only)
- 1 pair of Fiskar pointed scissors
- 20 Avery or 3M glue sticks
- 2 rolls of paper towels
- 1 large box of tissue
- Filled water bottle clearly labeled with your child's name to bring daily
- Please do not bring any toys from home unless it is on show-and-tell day.
Please make sure that when packing your child’s lunch that they have a healthy lunch with a drink and at most 2 small treats (no candy).